Thursday, April 11, 2013

LIVING WELL: TAKING UP NEW HOBBIES

Since going full-time with Maiedae, I've found myself shutting down my computer before dinner time and having the evenings wide open. Before I quit my job, I was working 32-40 hours per week in Atlanta and then working most nights and some weekends on Maiedae. Maiedae WAS my hobby. When I wasn't spending time with my family or friends, I was working on Maiedae. On average, I think I put anywhere from 15-20 hours per week into Maiedae; working on my blog, meeting with Jenny, working with graphic design clients and helping run the business. Because I loved it so much, I didn't think of it as work. It was what I loved doing in my spare time and I considered it my favorite hobby.

Once I packed up my desk at my 9-5 and began working for Maiedae full-time, a couple things changed. For starters, I decided to keep consistent working hours. Unless there is an emergency, meeting, or we are traveling, I try to only work on Maiedae Mon-Fri, 8:00AM-5:00PM. Keeping consistent hours has really helped me balance my time. However, once I shut down for the day, I'm finding myself with lots of open time on my hands during the evenings and some weekends. I had been in my old 9-5 + Maiedae work routine for the past 3 years that I almost didn't know what to do with myself. I turned to Jon shortly after diving into this new adventure and told him that I'm going to have to start finding some new hobbies!

I think having in mind a list of things you truly enjoy doing and that REALLY relaxes you is important. It's good to work on projects, try new things, and occupy extra time with your passions. I happen to be the type of person that has a really difficult time just sitting and watching a show, I like to be doing something, so having a variety of hobbies and interests is important to making me feel productive and happy at the end of the day.


Hobbies can be as simple as taking extra time to pamper yourself on the weekends or as complex as learning how to dance and taking lessons. Here are a couple tips I have on finding new hobbies:

1. Keep it Simple // Once again, it's completely fine to have simple and leisurely hobbies. Maybe you've had an "If I only had more time..." list in the back of your head and you've been dying to read a stack of books, or try your hand at some nail art, or maybe you just really want to watch through the top movies ever made? Think of things you can enjoy that are economical and don't take up too much time.

2. Learn from Others // Maybe you have a friend that's great at art or maybe you know someone who is an expert at baking? Ask people you know to give you lessons! This can be a great excuse to hang out with people you love. Plus, it's always so fun to be asked to teach something you are passionate about. I'm sure your friend will love it. :)

3. Be Adventurous // I think it's good to maybe pick one complex/adventurous hobby to try. This way you can dedicate a little more time to it and see if it's something you're truly interested in. Maybe you've never gardened before and want to try your hand at an herb garden? Or maybe you've always wanted to learn how to ride and care for horses but just never had the opportunity? Go for it! Again, check and see if any of your friends have experience or connections they could help you with. :)

4. Make a List // I think when we were all little we made a "before I die" bucket list. I know mine probably had something along the lines of "name a star," "write a song on my guitar" and "get married and have kids" on it. I actually would like to go dig up my old journals and find those! I think making these types of lists is GREAT. I would suggest making a list of things you'd like to try and doing them throughout the year. Keep them reasonable, but be a little creative and adventurous. Challenge yourself to try one new thing each month. Even if it's simple!

I hope some of these tips where helpful! I'm excited to put a list together and get started on some new hobbies. What are some of your favorite hobbies?? Have any that you've been itching to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment