Monday, January 09, 2012

INSPIRATION FOR YOUR NEST: MOSTLY WHITE

As Jon and I have been planning and thinking through 2 possible home moves this year. With the final move being the final for at least 5 years *crossing fingers*. I've been thinking through inspiration for our new nest and how we can merge his sense of style and my ever changing taste. I started noticing that a lot of the home pictures and ideas I was drawn to are rooms with a majority of neutral colors, varying textures and pops of color. I think this idea is brilliant because, for people like me, who love change and like to redecorate with the seasons, this is a much better and less expensive solution.

I can invest in good quality neutral pieces of furniture and necessities and then sprinkle color and pattern throughout with textiles, small decorative items, pictures, and some re-vamped chairs and smaller pieces of furniture from the thrift store. Changing the look of one room will be as simple as buying a new throw blanket and adding a painted wooden chair from a thrift store. :)

Photo Source: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

I am especially drooling over the idea of having different colored//styled chairs in the dining room and open shelves in the kitchen to display some of my colorful dinnerware. AND the fact that Christmas and holiday decorations would look so perfect against a neutral palette. Love!

16 comments:

  1. I love the closet in the white room. I love how open but neat it feels, I keep all of my clothing on a hanging rack instead of in a closet and I love being able to see all of my clothes, I might be taking from this idea to make my look more complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love white with pops of color! I feel like it's hard to pull off sometimes--but when done correctly, it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome inspiration! I realized lately that neutral paint colors just make so much more sense. I love those pops of color. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9.1.12

    Very beautiful and prefect colors.

    http://madnessanmusings.blogspot.com/2012/01/and-im-loving-minty-green.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love these colors!!! and these looks. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly how I like to think of colors when decorating. I'm drawn to neutrals, they are so calming, but little spots of bold colors through-out really make it eye-catching and keeps things interesting. The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is the smartest plan. keeping accessories bold, inexpensive, and interchangeable is key. good luck with the new home!

    milathinksthisthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9.1.12

    I wish I could wave my wand and make my house look like this! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these suggestions. I especially love the idea of painting swipes of your favorites for a color palette. That's way more fun then collecting paint swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it all! Thank you, I have definitely been inspired. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love using the base of white with all different colors! It's so inspiring to be able to play around with colors and see what you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree. My tastes/obsessions change with the wind. I think having a neautral backdrop that you can easily update with new accessories is the way to go. Glad I am not the only one who loves to change pillows/art/housewares all the time! :) Great post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10.1.12

    white with color is beautiful.
    http://fancycuteness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. pretty! i really like the room with the closet behind the bed! so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we bought a giant tufted white leather couch as our first big piece for our place and it has worked out SO well. now that we've decided to buy turquoise chairs it all works! but it would've worked with a whole bunch of other colors and patterns too!

    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great! Especially for apartment nests because half the time they come standard with all white paint. My last place had white walls, tile, counters, appliances, doors and carpet. As a person who thrives with color, it's always been a challenge to make the white become more a part of the room rather than an emptiness.

    ReplyDelete