Thursday, July 15, 2010

ARDENT CREATOR: INDIE PUBLISHING, CRAFT INC., & SIMPLE SEWING

I absolutely love creative resources; anything from web sites, magazines, conferences, software, and especially books. A big part of being creative and growing in your strengths is to continually find and utilize resources that challenge and grow you towards new things or within the specialties you already possess. I am always on the lookout for a great creative book resource. These three featured books are amazing to help you get started on a new project, maintain a current one, or try something you have always wanted to do.


Indie Publishing: How to Design and Produce Your Own Book ---> I almost peed my pants when I came across this book in one of my Communication Arts magazines. I have been developing a book project in my mind for some time now, but I never really knew a good way to go about designing, writing, and distributing the book. The idea of indie publishing is becoming very popular amidst other more established forms of indie media such as music, film, and theater. This book is a practical guide, regardless of your background and skill set, to creating and distributing printed books.

Craft, Inc: Turn Your Creative Hobby Into a Business ---> Ever since I was little, I was always looking for a way to have my own business. Actually, my first official business as an eleven year old was called "Critter Sitters". I babysat the neighborhood animals while their owners were out of town. My friend and I made fliers, paperwork, questionnaires, and schedules. We even set up a little office in her basement with a telephone. To this day, I am constantly in the mindset of developing my own business. Right now, as a matter of fact, I am developing inventory for a future Etsy shop as well as preparing to develop a legal business with my design work. This book is an amazing tool for entrepreneurial crafters. It offers step-by-step guides to developing products, naming your company, writing a business plan, applying for a licenses, paying taxes, and marketing. This book offers practical advice to help you become successful. Coming from a Visual Communication background, I do not have much experience in the business side of things so this has been a great tool to get me on my feet with my dreams of starting a business.

Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects ---> I have a small amount of sewing experience. I had a hand sewing book kit when I was little and remember making a precious little strawberry pin cushion. But recently, I have inherited an old sewing machine from the seventies and I have been dying to put it to good use. I would have to say that I have beginner's experience using a sewing machine, even though I took a class my senior year of college. I received this book for Christmas and I just love the simple sewing patterns and ideas for making practical and cute things. There are patterns and great step-by-step directions for tote bags, smart aprons, chic bed linens, and tons of other things to get your experience going in sewing.

You can find all of these books online at Chronicle Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment