Monday, December 03, 2012

CHEER: FOREST IN A JAR DIY

Welcome to the third day of Christmas Cheer! Today's theme is "playing in the snow", and since we don't usually get snow in Atlanta, Jenny and I decided to share two snow related DIYs with you. :)

Growing up near Seattle, Washington, we always had lots of snow during the holidays. I remember grabbing our laundry basket and sledding down the hills at our apartment complex with my little brother and sister. We loved making snowmen and measuring how high the snow would get in one night. When I moved to Georgia on my 8th birthday, I was always disappointed in the lack of snow, but I've learned to really appreciate the little flurries and snow we get now and then. The ice storms...not so much. ;) This year, I'm not crossing my fingers for snow since we had a 72 degree day yesterday. It's feeling more like fall then winter right now. But maybe we'll get a couple flurries?!

Jon has been wanting to take me on a skiing trip to Colorado sometime. I would LOVE to go and see all of the snow covered mountains and stay in a cabin with a huge fireplace...that's definitely on our "before we have kids" list...and also maybe on our "after we have kids" list too. :)


For this DIY, I was inspired by all of the beautiful homemade snow-globes I've seen lately. I liked the idea of making a water-less display so I wouldn't have to deal with the potential messes. I also like that these are easily something you can make very detailed and intricate or just keep them simple like I did.

Supplies// For these mini forests, I used mason jars from around the house, bought light blue transparent glass paint from Martha Stewart, fake snow, white glitter, mini Christmas trees, and used a hot glue gun. You can also use mini animals or Christmas scenes to decorate your forest.


Steps// 1. Paint the outside of your jars with transparent glass paint. This just gives it a little bit of a blue tone and blurs the glass so it has a neat "blizzard" look. I did this for two of the three jars. Put jars in the oven on 350 for 20 minutes. Let cool. 2. Hot glue trees, animals and other found objects to the lid or bottom of your jar. I like to alternate between the two. 3. Sprinkle in glitter and fake snow. If you shake the jar a little, the fake snow will stick to the sides and look like it's falling. 4. This is my favorite part. For the jars with the forests at the bottom of the jar, take the lid and dab hot glue to the bottom of the lid to create glue strands. Delicately dip the hot glue strands in fake snow to make it look like it's snowing. This took a little bit of time and patience, but turned out beautifully.

If you're in the snow globe making mood, check out these other DIYs. :)
* Snowy Diorama - Martha Stewart
* DIY Wintery Snow-globes - The Paper Mama
* Holiday Snow-globe - Apartment Therapy 

Also, be sure to check out Jenny's homemade Marshmallow recipe on her blog later today! You can follow along with our 12 Days of Christmas Cheer on Facebook and with the hashtag #12DaysofCheer. :) Happy Monday!


9 comments:

  1. OOOOOooo!! Yeah!! I had seen this on pinterest but it was just a picture DIY...I wasn't sure what the snow was...They actually sell fake snow? Awesome! I'm so glad you did this post because I was going to use sugar & probably corn starch! I want to make these for later in the week!! Thanks for the extra tips!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are SO AWESOME! I absolutely will have to try this. I was born and raised in SC so I have never even seen a real snowfall, and never experienced true snow activities. Colorado in the Winter is on my bucket list, before or after or if I ever have kids... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these so much! I just got a ornament sized hanging glass terrarium with pretty red moss and air plants that I added to with sparkly "snow" and a little miniature deer! They turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these look magical! I'm in sunny Florida so I crave some snow each and every winter but don't wanna live in. Is that too much to ask for? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! your pictures are amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful accessories for getting your home Christmas ready! I think I'm going to make these too. I live in a small studio with my boyfriend so we don't have room to put up a Christmas tree. I'm really glad you shared this because this is perfect for our little studio!

    Love, Saar

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so lovely! I decorated my Christmas tree today, I love that Christmassy mood soo much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3.12.12

    This is so cute!
    jennybodell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4.12.12

    Well, this is just too darn cute.

    ReplyDelete